Thursday, January 12, 2012

Butternut Squash with Shelled English Peas

I'm not a huge pea lover.  They're full of carbs and calories with little return on protein and fiber, so I rarely ever eat them.  But, the tables turned the other day at Costco, when I noticed beautiful bags of fresh shelled English peas, which I've heard are delectable.  Eeeeeven though I typically don't go for the green guys, I decided to try these because I knew if I used them with other vegetables I love, they would probably be delicious.


So, I headed home with my pound o' peas and pondered about what to do with them.


Aha!


I knew they would look vibrant and probably taste so if paired with butternut squash.  So, I made a second run to the grocery store, but this time to just to my local Trader Joe's.  I came back with my favorite ready-to-go vegetable of all time....chopped butternut squash in a bag!


I gathered some ingredients from my kitchen to create a dish with the squash and peas and VOILA.... an Indian inspired creation full of flavor and anti-oxidants.  It was really tasty if I do say so myself.

Butternut Squash with Shelled English Peas

(Serves 4-6)


Ingredients:


1 Tbsp olive oil
1 box sliced mushrooms
16 oz. chopped butternut squash
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 cup fresh English peas (or frozen peas)
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp+1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp+1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup water


Directions:








1. In a heated skillet, add 1/2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat.  Place the chopped onion into the skillet and saute until translucent.  Add sliced mushrooms and saute until soft.  Season with 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside on a plate.




2. In the same skillet, add the other 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil.  Place butternut squash into the skillet and cook on high for 7 minutes.  Add cumin, tumeric, cinnamon, paprika, and remaining salt and pepper to squash.  Pour 1/2 cup water and stir.  Cook over high heat until majority of the water absorbs.





3. After most of the water has absorbed and has created a thickened sauce, add the peas and the mushroom mixture to the squash.  Cook through another 5 minutes on low-medium heat.






4. Serve and enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment